Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thinning seedlings, and outside planting

In this photo I have two containers (on the left)of zinnias from Burpee Seeds that I started from seed using the paper towel method this week.  On the right I have some Summertime lettuce (also Burpee Seeds, started last week with the paper towel method).  They spent their first night outside last night, and this is how they look this morning.  The lettuce seems to be a little weakened, but I think it will be all right.  The Zinnias show no signs of distress.



In this pot I have a watermelon seedling(far left), rainbow coleus(middle), and two  snow-in-summer seedlings.  Initially I had all of these coleus in one tiny pudding cup since I was having a hard time getting any to sprout whent hey were planted one-to-a-pot.  They seem to sprout better when it is a bunch of them planted close together, and then thinned out once they have their first set of leaves, as I did here.  These have been on my front porch in a sunny spot all this week without bringing them indoors.  Temperatures have gone down to nearly 40 degrees at night and they seem to not be suffering,except for the watermelon seedling.  When I check it in the morning it's stem looks weak, sort of transparent, and it is bowed low as if it can't bear the weight of its leaves.  But it wasn't lying down, so I let it be.  Within a few hours of warmer morning sun, it perked right up, as you see here.



These blue-eyed Susan seedlings were not started with the paper towel method, and of the 14 seeds I planted, I only had 3 seedlings ever sprout.  I have let these sit outside on my somewhat sheltered porch overnight (for a week now, with temperatures dropping to 40 degrees at night, including some high winds and storms), and let them sit on the railing during the day to get some sun.  Thy are very sturdy at this point and I would feel comfortable planting these directly in the ground if I could think of where I want to put them.


In this pot I have one of my grape vices with some seedlings sharing the pot.  On the left edge I have dichondria from Burpee Seed started in a seedflat sectional.  I planted 9, but only 3 sprouted.   Toward the top I have English Ivy that I bought as a plant.  I don't think it is going to survive, I'm pretty sure the high winds we had this week whipped it around too much, and I hadn't thought to move this pot to a more sheltered place.  The other seedlings in the pot seem to have taken it fine, but maybe this was because they were shorted to the ground and further in on the pot.  In the center I have some pansies I started in soil.
This week I built up the retaining wall here to help hold back more of the soil.  I also put in garden edging and some cypress mulch.  I transplanted all of my hostas from last year at the top of the wall to also help with erosion.  Around the corner I planted my large watermelon plants I started from seed, and I also planted some sweet potato vine I bought from the nursery.  I also planted early girl tomato plant from the nursery and some peas I started with the paper towel method.(They are hidden in the mulch, marked with the bamboo steaks)

2 comments:

  1. Hey any ideas how to keep the rabbits from eating my tulips? I planted 50 tulips and 50 daffodils and the rabbits ate them down to the dirt! Little buggers....acres and acres of alfalfa and clover to eat, and they got to snack on my tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, you do realize that sweet potato vine is going to cover your entire lawn by mid summer?

    ReplyDelete