Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Giant Trees from Sunny California!

My wonderful husband brought me home two baby trees: a Coastal Redwood tree and a Giant Sequoia.
 They came in weird little tubes, and he said they cost $10 each.


The Giant Sequoia Tree-
Right now my little giant is 5 inches tall but from my caculations it will grow very quickly if I don't kill it!
I learned a lot from this website on Sequoia Trees:
Giant Sequoia Trees
They can grow to be 300 feet tall and over 3000 years old. 

This Giant Sequoia will be 20 inches wide and and 20 feet tall in 202,
100 inches wide and 100 feet tall in 2061!
"I think I can, I think I can I think I can!"


Coastal Redwood-
Can grow up to 350 feet tall

These prefer a milder climate than the Sequoia's and require warmer temperatures in the winter to survive.  I don't know if I will be able to keep this alive since they are said to not tolerate temperatures at 0 degrees.  BUT- if it DOES live, it can put up to 6 feet of height a year, for
60 feet tall in 10 years (2021)
300 feet tall in 50 years (2061)

I'm excited to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment